In celebration of HPN Global’s 16th year in business, and my 16th anniversary with the company, I’m sharing 16 thoughts of gratitude and my experience from watching the development and growth of this awesome company.
1. I’m not here by accident. I truly believe the universe lined up perfectly 16 years ago, and connected me with Bill Kilburg, which turned into my role & involvement with HPN. I was and continue to be right where I am supposed to be.
2. I’ve seen how the HPN Global opportunity can change lives. In the past 16 years, I’ve seen people take a leap of faith with their fingers crossed, a dedicated work ethic, and dive head first into entrepreneurialism. They have forever changed their lives and that of their families by way of prosperous incomes, quality time with the people that matter most, and control over their own schedules.
3. While at HPN, I turned 21 (which I’m sure you can imagine is quite the experience!), got married, and started the incredible journey of motherhood. I can’t imagine raising my son under other circumstances where family truly comes first. Also, by my definition, I have been able to successfully tackle being a dedicated mom who is there for her son, and a passionate professional. John (my son) has always been welcome in the office and a fun distraction for many, especially during the early years. We love HPN babies and kids ☺ This is a huge example of the kind of company culture Bill & Joe set out for 16 years ago.
4. When you love what you do, it rapidly ceases to be work. So many people spend their entire life lacking motivation or passion for what they do. Enjoying what I do is extremely important for me, and it also sets the example I want for my son. Work / Life Balance does exist. If you’re not experiencing this, I challenge you to find it.
5. I have witnessed incredible examples and influence of some of the top industry professionals, specifically within our leadership team at HPN Global. This group of people has influenced the person and professional I am today. I will forever be grateful. These are brilliant, compassionate, innovative people who don’t settle for status quo. I am beyond proud to be a part of this team.
6. Change. Innovation. Open mindedness. These are some of the characteristics that have made HPN Global so successful. We seek to find different ways to approach our business.
7. Leadership. What does it mean to be a leader? It’s not a title. Plenty of people have important titles that aren’t leaders. For me, it has meant taking an opportunity and making it my own. Before I knew it, I was providing counsel, guidance, direction, or just a listening ear to our team members. Mentoring others is an important piece of what I’ve experienced. The world I envision is a world where people help each other to advance, grow, and then turn around and help the next person.
8. I am delightfully included in this year’s 100 Women Who Inspire Us, by Smart Meetings. These are 100 truly amazing women, and I’m proud to be in their company.
9. Networking & Connections! Two extremely powerful words. Working for HPN Global has allowed me to develop and refine my own personal networking style, and understand just how important this skill is. Connections can open doors you didn’t know existed.
When you have an opportunity to take a relationship to the next level, and really connect with someone, that’s my favorite part. I love the impact we can have on people (and vise versa). People often forget that every time they interact with someone, they’re making an impact on that person. My goal is to have a positive impact with everyone I interact with.
10. HPN has taken me to some of the most amazing destinations. I’m literally traveling the world, and staying in some of the top hotels & resorts along the way. One of my favorite trips each year is our President’s Club Incentive. We award out top producers with an amazing trip. The destination changes annually, and it’s guaranteed to delight. I spend almost a week connecting with the top producers for HPN Global. Every year, the winners are different, and it’s extremely competitive. It’s a ton of fun getting to know them & their spouses better on more personal level. On that note, my husband has been able to join me on these awesome adventures. Sometimes, I think my HPN peeps enjoy his company more than mine (I’m talking to you, Linscott!).
11. It takes a village – for everything!
I / we couldn’t be where we are today without the amazing individuals that support us. We’re talking everything from talented people who support the HPN Global operation, my family who helps take care of my son when I travel, and my inner circle who provides amazing feedback and counsel for me personally and professionally.
12. Through our travels, I have been exposed to some of the most amazing food & wine. I’ve really come to enjoy this aspect of the hospitality industry. I have truly been spoiled and have loved every minute of it. Enjoying great food & wine is a big part of who I am.
13. What incredible experiences I’ve had in the past 16 years. I’ve done some amazing things that I may not have done on my own: watching an insane lightning storm in the Bahamas, ziplining in Costa Rica, relaxing in the turquois water in the Dominican Republic, a gorgeous waterfall hike in Maui, hanging on a private island in Puerto Rico, to name a few. Wow!!
14. I would be remiss not to mention the quality of education and motivational content we’re exposed to constantly – we’re talking the most incredible speaker experiences available in the market. Really impactful, change your life – if you allow it – content.
15. The opportunities available in this industry are endless. It only takes the right people paying attention at the right time to our ever-evolving world. Through this lens, HPN Global is leading the path for enhanced client safety through Emergency Planning, Preparedness, and Crisis Management. This partnership is made possible by HPN teaming up with my very own John Whitney via Emergency Concierge International to provide our clients the highest level of evolutionary service.
16. Finally, Relationships Matter! It’s the foundation on which on our company was built, and I whole heartedly drink this Kool Aid daily. I see this not only in my professional world, but personal world as well. People need people, we are tribal by nature.
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.” – Helen Keller
Senior VP, Sourcing & Industry Relations
13825 N Northsight Blvd., Suite 201
Scottsdale AZ, 85260
Phone: 480.998.9770 Ext 236
Website | LinkedIn | Blog
Performance Powered by Passion
Originally from Detroit, Michigan, Ken attended Michigan State University and graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Management. During his tenure at MSU, he conducted two hotel internships…one at the Grand Traverse Resort in Traverse City Michigan and the other at the Sands Resort & Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Immediately after graduation, Hilton Hotels Corporation hired him to be one of only two Management Trainee Professionals at the Hilton New Orleans Riverside. After 8 months, Ken was promoted to Convention Sales Manager handling the Midwest Market. After 4 years he decided to take a similar position at the New Orleans Convention & Visitors Bureau also handling the Midwest Market. In 1999, after 2 years with the New Orleans CVB, he decided to accept a position of Senior Account Executive at the Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, handling the West Coast Market and several 3rd party companies, including HPN Global. Ken and Heather Newman have been married since 1999 and have two sons (Kaine, 19 and Kameron, 17), and they currently reside in Covington, LA.
Desi Whitney, Senior Vice President, Sourcing Operations and Industry Relations, HPN Global
Inspiration: I am inspired daily by family, love, creativity, self-improvement, learning, gratitude and my accomplishments. More importantly, I draw inspiration from the appreciation I have learned to garner for all the incredible opportunities in life. From true appreciation comes heart-felt inspiration.
Superpower: Caring. Plain and simple, I care. I care about others more than myself. I care about the success of our industry and the success of the relationships we build. I care about others as human beings and friends. By caring for others, we foster a depth of health that paves the path for a brighter future.
Action Item: This truly is a pivotal time in the world. Many changes and divisions exist that are beyond our control. Threats, generational differences and technology are just a few examples of the ever-evolving environment we’re faced with. What will change the world for tomorrow are the relationships we build today. There is no way to forecast the future and what it may bring, but by building strong foundational relationships, we build a network of strength that is efficient and adaptable to handle any challenge that heads our way.
Senior VP, Sourcing & Industry Relations HPN Global
2018 Official Press Releases
Smart Meetings Announces 3rd Annual Smart Woman Summit
SAUSALITO, California — Smart Meetings, the most trusted resource for meeting professionals, is proud to announce its third annual conference for women in meetings. Smart Meetings Presents the Smart Woman Summit will take place on April 19, 2018 at the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront.
The Smart Woman Summit has come to serve as a celebrated conference for its introduction of critical tools and resources. Attendees will discover effective business strategies, tools and techniques to advance their professional growth, share poignant stories of personal success and explore how women can overcome their own set of unique challenges in the workplace.
With education, leadership and camaraderie at the forefront of its agenda, the Smart Woman Summit is designed to advance the careers of women in meetings, cultivate an empowered community of female meeting ambassadors and foster growth. Now in its 3rd year, the signature conference will feature opportunities for professional development, dynamic speaking presentations and multiple networking sessions.
The meetings and events industry is a staggering 77.4% female, and yet, many critical leadership roles are filled by men. Led by a passionate, self-made female CEO, Smart Meetings is proud to be a women’s champion and support such a vital industry group.
“I am delighted to host this event for our incredible community of women in meetings.” said Smart Meetings founder and CEO, Marin Bright. “As a woman who has faced many challenges on my own entrepreneurial path, I’m heartened and humbled to share this opportunity with my fellow meetings peers. The Summit promises to educate, empower and inspire, and reaffirm our place in the meetings industry as an informed, passionate, united community.”
Smart Meetings is honored to partner with Fort Worth Convention and Visitor’s Bureau, a premier travel destination that shares in the spirit of this influential and timely initiative.
“We are proud to sponsor the third annual Smart Woman Summit,” said John Cychol, vice president of meeting sales for the Fort Worth Convention & Visitors Bureau. “Fort Worth is home to many strong women leaders including our mayor, Betsy Price, the trail boss for the Fort Worth Herd, Kristin Jaworksi and Lockheed Martin CEO Marillyn Hewson. We are excited to showcase some of the women who lead in creativity and entrepreneurship at the Smart Woman Summit.”
The Smart Woman Summit will also feature an awards ceremony and dinner to honor winners of the 2018 Smart Women in Meetings Awards, an awards platform that recognizes top-performing women in the meetings industry. The 2018 categories include Visionaries, Innovators, Industry Leaders, Entrepreneurs, Trail Blazers and Rising Stars.
The conference will immediately follow Smart Meeting Midwest, a hosted-buyer event that connects high-quality meeting planners with premier hotels and destinations on April 18, also hosted at the Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront.
About Smart Meetings:
Smart Meetings is the premier partner for connecting quality meeting professionals with hotels and destinations. We cultivate powerful business relationships through robust, business-driven programs and services to ensure that planners and suppliers, alike, reach their goals. Providing best-in-class service, Smart Meetings publishes cutting-edge meetings content in print and digital magazines, offers world-class hosted-buyer networking events, CEU-accredited webinars, as well as myriad digital solutions.
Smart Meetings Media Contact:
Director of Marketing
Fort Worth Media Contact:
Director of Marketing & Film Commissioner
Fort Worth CVB/Fort Worth Film Commission
817-698-7842 cell: 817-709-7601
Greetings! An official ‘Happy New Year’ to those I haven’t connected with yet.
I’m personally very excited about 2018 and all the opportunity it represents. Coming up off an absolutely incredible 2017, it seems 2018 has some big shoes to fill – and I have no doubt we are up to the challenge!
Here’s a recap of 2017:
Sourcing Lead Volume increased by almost 20%. Great appreciation and gratitude go to our dedicated Sourcing Team, who rocked the increase in volume – with smiles on their faces, and smoke coming off their keyboards.
Top Sourced Destinations for the year:
4. San Diego
40% of our volume was sourced in the year, for the year – a similar trend from 2017, so hotels with short-term availability (and great deals!) should connect with us. email@example.com
30% of all RFPs sourced were considered short-term (within 90 days of arrival).
HPN Global Partner Conference News:
Our 2017 hosts, The San Francisco Marriott Marquis and San Francisco Travel, knocked our socks off. We had overwhelming feedback on the success of the conference, and greatly appreciate San Francisco Travel for ordering up the right temperatures.
New for 2017, based on the changing dynamics of the world, HPN Global showed our commitment to attendee safety, by adding Conference Emergency Preparedness in partnership with ECI: Emergency Concierge International https://emergencyconcierge.net/.
Moving on to 2018, we are so excited we can’t see straight!! Eden Roc Miami Beach Resort will welcome us for #HPN18. Who’s ready to have some fun in Miami? I am!! Save the Date for November 6 – 9, 2018. Our event is invitation only, so please submit your interest thru this link: http://hpnglobal.com/2018-hpn-global-partner-conference/ It’s guaranteed to sell out fast!
Get In Touch!
The HPN Global Sourcing Team is here as a resource for both our Sales Associates and our Industry Partners. We’re here to bridge the gap between the two, and we’re also very social! Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us directly to follow up on RFPs, schedule an office visit or local event, discuss strategy, you name it. We look forward to hearing from you!
Wishing Everyone a most Delightful 2018 – Cheers!
Senior VP, Sourcing & Industry Relations
13825 N Northsight Blvd., Suite 201
Scottsdale AZ, 85260
Phone: 480.998.9770 Ext 236
Website | LinkedIn | Blog
Performance Powered by Passion
So 2017 was flat out the Best…. Year….. Ever….. for HPN !!
This was the best year in the company’s history for revenues booked; The largest number of individual bookings; The largest year-end sitting funnel on the backlog in company history; and again I think we set the bar for the BEST CONFERENCE EVER in San Fran !!! (except for that super smelly live chicken !) Oh yea, and a Million room nights booked ! That’s a big deal all, for real.
You all should be proud of yourselves and we here in Scottsdale are proud to be associated with each and every one of you. This is absolutely the best team in the business.
It was truly another great year! Awesome new associates and friends and we are more like a family than ever and too much fun …….. Thanks to everybody !!
So here again are those basic founding ideas of the company, and our culture to set out a basis for our combined success in the new year.
Love you all and let’s go have an absolutely awesome 2018!!!!
Family First – for most of us our family and loved ones are why we do this, they are why we get up in the morning and go do what we do, time with them is the most precious thing we have. Hug them every day.
Have FUN – Have fun every day doing what you do. If you enjoy what you are doing, it pretty rapidly ceases to be work, it’s pretty cool to do something every day that you are having fun at! A lot of people go thru life without ever having that opportunity. We are in the best business in the world! I’ve never met a happier, more fun and successful group of people in my life !!
Be Nice to People – It’s a basic fact, People are nice to people who are nice to them, we are in the service business, people buy from people they like!
Be Passionate and Enthusiastic – Both are absolutely infectious, I put on a positive attitude every day first thing in the morning like clothes, Every day is the best day of my life because I choose for it to be that! Be passionate and enthusiastic about what you do and success will certainly follow.
Life is all about Relationships – Relationships, Relationships, Relationships! At the end of the day, nothing else matters but the connections we make with other people, people we work with, people we love, people we do business with.
Change is our Friend – It’s another fact, everything changes, We are going to continue to see a ton of that in 2018 for sure. No matter what you think is the status quo, it is in fact, going to change and increasingly rapidly. The people that can assimilate and appreciate, and perhaps even lead change, are the ones who are successful, the ones who hate change are rarely successful.
Do what you say you are going to do – Business (and our competitors) are full of people that say “yea, I can handle that” and then drop the ball or don’t follow through. Nothing is worse in business than relying on somebody to get something done and then having it not happen, most especially in the service environment. Do what you say you are going to do every time !! Success will follow!
Let go of Negativity – Stuff is going to go wrong, somebody is going to make you mad, deal with it and then let go of it and move on. Harboring ongoing negativity hurts you, not them. I’m by no means saying to put up with bad behavior from toxic people, but get over it and realize life is too short. The past is the past, the only things we can affect are in the future.
Be a “Kid” as much as possible – Laugh easily and often, run around and play with your kids, set off fireworks, travel and marvel at the wonder of the world, do silly things with your family and loved ones, learn something new every day, cook something you have never cooked before, just have fun…….. life is short ☺
Thanks again to everybody and here’s to an absolutely phenomenal 2018!!!!! Let’s go do some epic shit!☺
Love you all!
William J. Kilburg CPA
Chairman and CEO
13825 N. North Sight Blvd
Scottsdale AZ, 85260
The 20 latest Blog Posts
- HPN Global Sourcing Operations Welcomes Payton
- Meeting Planner View Atlantic City
- Meet Haley – HPN Graduating Intern from ASU
- Chicago Hotel Sales and Marketing Rockstar Joins HPN Global
- HPN Global adds Southern California Area Sales Rockstar to the team
- Nick Elardo is excited about his new Career with HPN Global
- 20 Year Hotel Sale Pro from Chicago Joins Growing HPN Global
- 29 Year Marriott Associate Joins HPN Global
- Top Nashville Hospitality Executive Joins HPN Global
- 30 Year Hospitality Pro Joins HPN Global
- HPN Global Sweet 16
- New Orleans Hospitality Veteran joins HPN Global
- Smart Meetings includes our very own Desi Whitney as one of the Top 100 Women in Meetings Who Inspire Us!
- HPN Global 2017 Recap
- HPN Global Million Room Nights Booked
- #HPN17 Winning Together
- Post Hurricane María – Puerto Rico
- HPN Global Hotel Database
- The HPN Global President’s club represents the top 10 producers in our network!
- Hotels Impacted by Hurricane Irma
- 2018 HPN Global Partner Conference
- Abbe McFarland
- activate search
- Alyssa De La Fuente
- Angela Spearman
- Apply Now
- Associate Locator
- Become a Partner
- Bill Kilburg
- Brandee Johnson
- Bruce Campbell
- Career Opportunities
- Career Opportunities
- Client Referrals
- Company Leadership
- Company Overview
- Conference Mobile Event Applications
- Conference Sponsorship Opportunities
- Contact HPN Global
- Corporate and Association Event Planning
- Desi Whitney
- Desiree Dietiker
- General Question
- Global Account Manager
- Government Meeting Planners
- Hospitality Performance Network Executive Bios
- Hotel Conference Room Rates
- Hotel Contract Negotiations
- Hotel Management Companies
- Hotel Sales Management Jobs
- Hotel Site Selection Company
- Housing Management
- HPN Global
- HPN Global Reviews
- HPN Meeting Management Group
- Incentive Travel Solutions
- Incentives & Rewards
- Industry Events
- Information Request
- Jil Dasher
- Joe Forster
- John Murillo
- Karen Kilburg
- Katie Huff
- Kiersten Perry
- Laura Purtzer
- Learn More
- Maribeth Beacham
- Meeting Attrition
- Meeting Registration Software
- Password Reset
- Press Room
- Request an Invitation
- Steve Scatino
- Strategic Meeting Solutions
- Teri Grammens
- Thank You
- Third Party Meeting Planning
- Tulcy Jones
- Video Testimonial Submission
- Video Testimonials
- Visit our Corporate Office
Archives by Month:
- August 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- June 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- May 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- January 2014
- October 2013
- September 2013
- July 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- January 2013
- September 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012